Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Clark is Intelligent?


IDM. Intelligent Dance Music. It's one of those genre titles that has always bothered me. To me, including the word "intelligent" in the name of the genre is completely pretentious. Intelligent Dance Music, because all the other sorts of dance music aren't intelligent? I doubt it. I have yet to hear an IDM album that anyone could easily dance to. Oh, the irony.

Clark's Body Riddle is a record that many classify as Intelligent Dance Music. If I had known this before I first heard it, I doubt I would have listened to it. It's not that I don't like IDM, it's just that.. it's such a ridiculous name for a genre. At any rate, I did listen to the record. It blew me away.

When I first heard the record, I thought of Ratatat. Both Ratatat and Clark seem to have the same sort of vibe, if you will. A certain shred of similarity. That's not to say Body Riddle is unoriginal, because it is original. Very much so. When I listen to the album, it feels like a sort of analog-electronic combination that is exceedingly aurally pleasing. I couldn't stop listening.

MP3s:
Clark - Herr Bar
Clark - Herzog

Buy:
Clark - Body Riddle

No comments: